Saturday, August 31, 2024

Ideas for my BassmastHER story

I attended my second BassmastHER workshop Aug. 17 in Waddington, NY. I’m excited about this Bassmaster initiative that encourages women to follow & develop their passion for fishing. 

A little over a week later, experiencing some slow moments while fishing with my husband in Minnesota, I started to drag my BassmastHER story. 

Growing up, fishing was using a cane pole to toss a line with a bobber & a hooked worm hook into the farm pond & hope for a bite. It wasn’t a passion. It was just something to do.

At Texas A&M, I started dating someone who I quickly knew was serious about fishing. And not just any fishing. Gene’s passion was bass fishing. 

It’s interesting that as I write this, I don’t remember the first time we went fishing together. I don’t recall ever fishing together, taking the boat out from College Station. It’s likely my first boat trips with Gene were when we were both home for the summer in Cooke County. 

Just now asking Gene about it, I do recall perhaps fishing with him when he was in grad school at Oklahoma State. Or maybe we went fishing at a lake near Stillwater after we were married.  

…..

I have no inclination to be a tournament angler  I don’t really even desire to be able to go fishing by myself  my goal is to be proficient enough to take care of my own needs when fishing with Gene or another experienced angler. I’m far from that now, although I continue to get better.

To be continued …

No comments:

Post a Comment