Monday, December 31, 2018

Wrapping it up

For some reason, I decided to start off New Year’s Eve by reading, among other things, the Dec. 31 entry for a new Bible devotion book I bought two copies of -- one for my mother and one for me to use in 2019.

I was shocked to see it included a typo — a dropped word. And as I continued reading from “Then Sings My Soul,” I found other things I view as punctuation errors in the short passage for the start of the day. (The format includes one version of the Scripture and a meditation in the morning and a different version of the same passage, with another meditation, at night.)

As a longtime journalist and copy editor, now retired following a lay off two years ago, my first thought was to toss this book aside.

My second thought was that it is good for me to be reminded on the last day of the year that none of us on earth is perfect. 

In some ways, I think it’s better I get that reminder today than tomorrow or Jan. 5 or for the first time with this compilation next Dec. 31. 

Exposed is my tendency to want to wrap up one year or day or month or project with a tidy bow and to start the new one with perfection as well. 

And that’s not how my life works. 

I don't get to be perfect.

I get to pray. I get to respond with faith or fear -- affirmative action or paralyzing procrastination. The actions I take or avoid have consequences, for good or bad.

When I pray for guidance, I can trust God to respond. Even when the way does not seem clear or my response seems less than adequate, I can trust that God is with me and allowing me to learn and grow as I continue to seek His guidance and strength, to His glory.

I can strive for excellence. I need to accept the results that come, trusting that God is in charge, that He loves me, and that His plans for me are good.

Meanwhile, I noticed the Dec. 31 reading from one of my 12-step books also has a typo. I’m sure I notice it every year. And yet I must always forget, because it seems as if this is the first time I’ve seen it.

That makes me think of Lamentations 3:22-23, one of my beloved Scriptures (and soul songs):

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, 
His mercies are new every morning;
great is Thy faithfulness.

One day at a time. I don't get to be perfect. Morning by morning, day by day, month by month, year by year ... new mercies I see.

New opportunities I see. New songs. New hope. New lessons. New blessings.

This is not how I planned to wrap up my year with my blog. I wanted to look back through the year and review the highlights. I know there were some great moments, along with some disappointments.

I wanted to follow that review with setting goals or claiming some truths on which to build a foundation for 2019.

So, now what?

How about I close out 2018 with The Lord's Prayer:
Our Father who art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy Name.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done,
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
[For thine is the kingdom,
and the power, and the glory,
for ever and ever.]
Amen.

Source: the litany section of the U.S. Book of Common Prayer, 1928 edition.


With gratitude and praise to God for 2018 and bright hope for 2019.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment