Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Can this faulty memory be Redeemed (or Saved! Saved! Saved!)?

Shortly after I posted my blog Monday, as I was headed out the door for work without time to do anything about it, I realized I had made a significant mistake based on a faulty memory.

The song I remember so vividly hearing the Southern Baptists sing in Salt Lake City and also at an Oklahoma City convention center wasn't "Redeemed" by Fanny Crosby. It was "Saved! Saved!" by Jack P. Scholfield. That makes more sense as to why I associate the song with Baptists rather than my Methodist upbringing.

But it doesn't flow nearly as well with that blog on the theme of Redeemed. It did, however, trigger a lot of thought and a little research on the relationship and differences between saving and redeeming and being saved and being redeemed. Between dictionary definitions and theological views, I'm confused enough I won't even pretend to have it figured out.

It does seem that from a Christian standpoint, you have to be redeemed (Jesus paid for our sins by dying on the cross) before you can be saved (we confess our sins and accept the Risen Christ as Lord), which is the opposite of what happens in the trading stamp process, where you have to spend money to get stamps to save and later exchange for goods.

And it's fascinating to me that God would let my memory play that trick on me, that I would write and post my blog with the concept and lyrics of "Redeemed, How I Love to Proclaim It" instead of "Saved! Saved!" and not be able to address it for two days and still not really be able to fix it. I do think there is a reason, and that it will be revealed to me when the time is right. That seems to be how God works in my life, and I am grateful that I am becoming more trusting that He is in control even when I am confused and clueless!

To conclude, here are the lyrics of the great hymn "Saved, Saved" (with this aside: one of my very important goals to accomplish by the end of this year is to learn how and start giving proper attribution/Internet links to the information I grab from online and other sources for my blog; but I'm not there yet):

I've found a Friend, Who is all to me,
His love is ever true;
I love to tell how He lifted me
And what His grace can do for you.

Saved by His power divine,
Saved to new life sublime!
Life now is sweet and my joy is complete,
For I’m saved, saved, saved!

He saves me from every sin and harm,
Secures my soul each day;
I’m leaning strong on His mighty arm;
I know He’ll guide me all the way.

Saved by His power divine ... Saved, saved, saved!

When poor and needy and all alone,
In love He said to me,
"Come unto Me and I’ll lead you home,
To live with Me eternally."

Saved by His power divine,
Saved to new life sublime!
Life now is sweet and my joy is complete,
For I’m saved, saved, saved!

Lyrics and Composer: Jack P. Scholfield, 1911

No comments:

Post a Comment