Saturday, June 30, 2018

Celebrating 50!


I'm not sure what it was like for the rest of my siblings, but when the youngest turned 50 on Wednesday, the effect for me was as real or more so as when I hit the Big 5-0 myself. That was nine years ago.

(Earlier this year, I realized my mind was playing tricks on me and I thought I was still 58 several weeks after my March birthday. So you can tell that I'm really looking forward to 60!)

The good news is that people (including my five siblings) of my age and older have come to believe 50 is the new 30, and 60 is the new 40, and so on. The bad news is that, sure, we can say those things, but it doesn't take away aches and pains and tiredness and memory issues I never thought I would be experiencing short of 60, much less 40.

But as I heard several times through the celebration of baby sister last Saturday and her actual birthday, getting old and all that goes with it sure beats the alternative. And I think we will all agree with that!

This is one version of the birthday tribute I did for Amy. It's adapted not only from "Walking After Midnight," but also "Relay Walking (After Midnight)," which Amy wrote a few years ago to help promote Relay for Life of Noble County in Perry, Oklahoma. Little did she know that she would be co-writing her birthday tribute song!!!!!



Baby Sister Amy’s 50 
(to the tune of "Walking After Midnight"

Amy’s FIFTY. There’s no denying:
Over the hill now; time to face this sad, sad truth.
She’s turning FIFTY. Time keeps a-flying.
Bye-bye to youth!

Baby Amy, there’s no defying,
You’re getting old now, and there’s nothing you can do.
You’re turning FIFTY, we hear you crying:
OH NO -- BOO HOO!!!

You’re tired and you’re achy; so hard to stay awakey,
But that’s something that you must do ….
As long as you’ve got kitties, there’s no time for self-pity.
Those ’Doodles are counting on you!

You’re turning FIFTY, and that ain’t nifty.
Getting old stinks, no matter what you think or do.
You’re turning FIFTY, we share your pity.
OH NO — BOO HOO!!!
(interlude)


You’re tired and you’re achy; so hard to stay awakey,
But that’s something that you must do ….
There’s relay, hoops and work, plus family, friends and church
So many are counting on you!

O baby sister, there’s no denying:
Getting old sucks and might make you want to cuss.
But here’s the bright side, no cause for crying.
You’ll be fine! Just look at us!!


(OH NO -- BOO HOO!!!)



Baby Sister Amy's 50



 

No comments:

Post a Comment