Sunday, May 3, 2020

More of God, less of me

Sometimes bad things just happen. Maybe the bad things aren't always God's mercies in disguise.

That's an idea I embraced following Sunday's sermon using Job 28:12-28 as the text.

Knowing the text, I had offered to "Blessings," a song with lyrics about bad things that happen that don't make sense. "What if trials of this life are (God's) mercies in disguise?"

The theme had an extra level of meaning to me because of how I responded to certain things that happened the previous two times I sang for worship at my church. The concept helped me eventually to accept things that were outside my control and to move on. Part of moving on involved following God's leading when He seemed to prompt me to offer to sing again.

I was pleasantly surprised when the sermon seemed to not fully embrace the concept of trials being God's blessings in disguise. Pastor Desi focused more on the idea that sometimes bad things just happen, even to good people. But the good news is that even then, Christ is with us.

I guess I'm more stubborn than some, and so I still want a positive ending. And that comes from the Romans 8:28 promise that "we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purposes."

I'm also freshly aware that, more often that I would like to admit, when bad or unpleasant things happen to me, I probably did something that contributed to the outcome.

From a spiritual standpoint, it's clear one of my biggest obstacles is when I focus more on myself than on the love of God and the example of Christ.

And that seems to be the most true when it comes to singing.

Clearly, I'm still me-focused or I wouldn't be writing this in so much first-person.

More to come ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment