Sunday, August 8, 2021

When the new wears off

The rewards of a 7 am alarm continue. Especially in the summer, getting up before the sun is high in the sky is a cool way to start the day. (Pun intended.)

And I’m making some progress on the other aspect of trying to shift my sleep cycle. I’m trying to get to bed with the lights out by 11 pm. Although I’m not there yet, I’m getting closer. 

I accept the fact that even if I’m in bed 8 hours, I’m unlikely to get anywhere near that much sleep, due to various aches, pains and discomfort. I try to ensure the time is restful even if I’m not sleeping soundly. 

Friday may have been a turning point. After a long Thursday and turning out the light late, I toyed with the thought of shifting the alarm to a later time. After prayer and thinking, I chose to leave it at 7, trusting God to help me get the rest I needed, either through a nap or getting to bed earlier Friday. A quick nap helped. 

Now it’s Sunday. I’m still feeling tireder than I’d like. I plan to stick with the 7 am alarm anyway. I don’t think I’ve done this long enough for my body clicks to reprogram. Plus, I’m still not getting enough sleep. 

I will continue to work on it, even though it’s not quite as exciting now that the newness of the concept has worn off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment