Wednesday, May 23, 2012

An unexpected wellspring

When I first heard that Cooke County's Relay for Life organizers had scheduled a time to finish the original event that was washed out by a storm and power outage two weeks earlier, I was less than enthused. Seriously? People had planned for months to be involved with the May 4-5 event. How could they be expected to have more time to spare another date on short notice?

But as I learned more about the new event, where once I saw a crazy idea, I began to see opportunity. I hadn't planned to return to Texas that weekend, but there was nothing on my schedule to stop me. And the new event was on Saturday; if it had been Friday, no way could have I participated. As I became open to each new possibility, God provided another, until I ended up with a blessed, jam-packed whirlwind trip to Texas that included:

-- Relay with my Mom, her sister Margaret from Albuquerque and my brother Mike from Arkansas from 7 until after 10:30, then continuing with team members Emily and Brenda through about midnight, and walking to the end at 2 a.m. with Emily. We remembered Daddy and others and honored Mom and others who have or have had cancer. Both the event and our team ended up surpassing fundraising goals to support the American Cancer Society's efforts to find a cure for cancer and to offer resources for dealing with it in the meantime.

-- I didn't get much sleep, but I was determined to make it to early church with Mom. I'm glad I did, as I heard timely messages at worship and Sunday school about waiting, drawn from Luke 24:44-53 and the Lazarus accounts in John 11 and 12, respectively. I also was blessed to hear an original song about Miracles I had heard about and wondered if I would ever hear.

-- I attended a family reunion on my paternal grandmother's side that I don't usually go to. It was good to be there.

-- Afterward, many of us visited my uncle in a rehab care center. The reunion was actually at his house. It was good to see him. He's made so much progress since probably a low point around Easter.

-- I was able to get in a nice nap before making the two-hour drive back to Norman.

-- I was refreshed enough from the wellspring of family and the home church that I could spend time talking with my husband about some important issues, especially involving our cat, Bridget, who had spent the weekend boarding with the vet.

As this week has unfolded, I've continued to draw on the wellspring as well as the messages about keeping my faithful focus on Jesus while I wait for Him to show me His glory and reveal His will and way. He provides glimpses each day, which renew my hope and for which I am grateful.

"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known." (1 Corinthians 13:12)

"But as for me, I watch in hope for the Lord, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me." (Micah 7:7)

"The Lord is good to those whose hope is in Him, to the one who seeks Him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord." (Lamentations 3:25-26)

No comments:

Post a Comment