Tuesday, January 21, 2014

I just can't quite let go ...

I am struggling to find the words to express the spirit I see around me. I'm torn between wanting to call it quits on the blog -- or at least declare an indefinite hiatus -- and being unable to stop "checking in."

Maybe "the writing is on the wall," so to speak, and what it says it that I should just give up, once and for all, on this experiment that I thought might lead me back into meaningful prose.

Some advice often given to writers who are blocked is: Write one true thing.

Tonight, that thought leads me to this: Fear. I can't write because I'm afraid -- of my thoughts, my feelings, of looking dumb, of offending someone, of being unable to express whatever it is I have in mind, of sounding negative, whiny, selfish or ungrateful.

As a result, little is making it past my self-censor. (And this that does is not pleasing me at all!)

And still I cannot stop trying. I'm pretty sure there will be more to come ...

No comments:

Post a Comment