Thursday, April 30, 2015

A high standard

During the month of April, in recognition of the 20th anniversary of the Murrah Building bombing and the Oklahoma Standard of compassionate response that ensued, the OKC National Memorial & Museum asked that every individual, company, organization and school commit one act of service, one of honor and one of kindness. They also asked that people capture and post stories, photos and videos from their own life – or those they see in the community – that demonstrate acts of service, honor and kindness by using the hashtag #OKStandard on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

This was on my mind all month, and during my visit to the memorial and museum on April 12, I bought a couple of blue rubber bands with the words service, honor and kindness and OKStandard, one of which I wore every day after that. 

My goal was to do each of those things and write about them. But here it is the last day of the month, and I'm not aware of any specific things I did that qualified. 

I can think of more things I didn't do than that I did. I feel like I really have to stretch to come up with service, especially.

The act of honor was to sing On Eagles Wings during the remembrance service our church had on April 20. Visiting the memorial and remembering probably also counts. 

But nothing is standing out at this moment as above and beyond acts of kindness or service. This disappoints me. 

I hope it's a case where I'm just not remembering. But the thing is, April 30 is an arbitrary end to the Oklahoma Standard campaign. As usual,  I can and do plan to keep trying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment