Saturday, June 18, 2016

Reflections on work

The On Wednesday -- a week after I learned I would be terminated from my employment by the end of October -- my Upper Room and First 15 devotionals both were about work/works. 

This came as I had growing awareness that I have everything to feel positive and grateful about, but I cannot deny the stress I feel. I had gotten to bed a little after 11, then woke a bit before 2 and could tell my mind was bouncing with thoughts and unlikely to let me sleep. My husband also woke, so we talked some.

Then and Tuesday evening in counseling, I tried to acknowledge and feel those other emotions: fear, sadness, uncertainly, stress, tiredness. 

I wanted to fix how I feel, but it occurred to me that fixing it wasn't  as important that moment as just to keep on keeping on. The next right step. So I got on the treadmill. I prayed and also talked more to my husband. Then I did my morning devotions, getting some positive affirmation to keep on keeping on. 

First 15:
God calls us to a life of works because he loves us and has designed us for such a purpose. Ephesians 2:10 says, "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them." The work he is calling you to is perfect for you because he is the one who formed you and knows you. Have faith in the love and perfect will of your heavenly Father. Choose to live a life of good works. And experience the joy of living every minute of your day with intentional and eternal purpose. 

From Upper Room:

“But why would you do that for them when they let you go for no reason?” I questioned.

“I am going to leave as a Christian,” she said. “I want my name to be associated with kindness and to show the love I always felt at my job.”

In his letter to the Colossians, Paul speaks of the “clothes” that followers of Christ are to wear: compassion, kindness, humility, forgiveness, love, with love being “above all.” Marie left her place of employment with kindness. She was wearing all the right “clothes” and showed us the power of forgiveness and of Christ’s love.

Colossians 3:12-17

3:12 As God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience. 
3:13 Bear with one another and, if anyone has a complaint against another, forgive each other; just as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. 
3:14 Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. 
3:15 And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in the one body. And be thankful. 
3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly; teach and admonish one another in all wisdom; and with gratitude in your hearts sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to God. 
3:17 And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.



No comments:

Post a Comment