Sunday, December 31, 2017

Christmas with the family

I've fallen way behind this year on blogging about happenings I want to keep accounts of, and here I go again. I'm just now writing a shell of what I hope to chronicle from the Davidson Family Christmas celebration that was now two days ago, on Dec. 29.

Preparing for Christmas is always a challenge for me, and this year, the dates and the weather added to my fun. For many reasons, having Christmas on a Monday messed with my mind. The most obvious time warp issue was that Christmas Eve was also the fourth Sunday in Advent, which for me amounted to one less day to get ready for traditional Christmas Eve observances at church and then a gathering on Christmas Day with my husband's sister and her son.

On the other hand, my mom and siblings didn't have our gathering until Dec. 29, so I should have all kinds of time to get ready, right? Yeah, right. But what about the weather? How can I plan when the forecast looks so cold and wintry, but I keep hoping it will change?

The one thing that happened most often was that when I finally settled on a plan based on how I thought things would go, the situation changed more quickly than I would have thought possible, and a different plan unfolded. But each time, things turned out fine!

I always enjoy the time with my family, and this year was no exception. Mom and all of her children were there, and as many of the grandchildren and great-grandchildren as could make it. We miss those who aren't there, but no matter who makes it, it is always lively and fun.

For the most part, everything ended up working out pretty smoothly. I didn't worry in advance as much as usual, and I only had a couple of meltdowns that I recall. And the weather allowed for safe travel all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment