Monday, January 15, 2018

Wishful thinking

Once again, I'm trying to commit myself to completing what looks like an impossible chore.

I tried to come up with a plan. But I'm not really a planner. So I just started working.

I'm hoping that as I work, inefficiently as it seems to be, a better way will come to mind.

I see signs of that happening.

As I told someone today: I know at some point I'm going to realize I can keep doing it this inefficient way and be at it for three or five years, or I can realize I don't have to know every detail as I decide whether to discard or keep things. (Yes, it's that neverending chore: Clearing the clutter of papers, magazines, cards, keepsakes and music.)

I also keep thinking of that old saying:  How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. This seems more like a herd of elephants, and still the answer is the same: One bite at a time.

That's when I realized I wished there was a quicker way. I wish it could just be taken care of already!

Wishful thinking.

And that's a waste of time.

So, I worked some more tonight, tossing another stack of various papers into the trash, and placing some music CDs in a box to be donated.

To look at the space I'm trying to clear, there's no evidence cleaning is going on.

But I know. And I am determined to keep at it this time. No more wasting my time on wishful thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment