Friday, August 3, 2018

The complicated truth about good intentions


“Good intentions are pretty worthless if I don’t follow up with action.” 

That’s what I posted on Facebook while I was walking around the pond in the neighborhood park this morning, trying to pray and motivate myself into more action.

I can’t count how many of my good intentions haven’t gotten past the thought stage so far this week. 

I do think it’s better to have good intentions than bad (or none at all). 

This may be related to Scripture from one of my devotionals earlier in the week, which I also included in my most recent blog post: 
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable -- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy -- think about such things." Philippians 4:8 (NIV)

It also brings to mind the relationship between prayer and action. I believe it’s better to pray in faith even if I can’t or don’t act than to not pray. Because I believe prayer changes hearts, starting with the heart of the one who prays.

It’s also worth remembering that the actions (and especially the outcomes, answers and results) related to prayers and good intentions need to rely on God’s timing and purpose, rather than my will. 

I’m also aware that even though my good intentions have far outpaced my actions, I have followed through on some worthwhile thoughts.

There’s just so much more I think I need to be doing!!

I’m praying for God to guide my heart, mind and steps, to have me accomplish what He would have me do today, to His glory. Thy will, not mine, be done.

Meanwhile, this Scripture from my previous blog post is also relevant again today. It came up today in my Proverbs 31 devotional, which might bring on even more writing ....

"Don’t be conformed to the patterns of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds so that you can figure out what God’s will is—what is good and pleasing and mature."  Romans 12:2

No comments:

Post a Comment