Monday, January 7, 2019

First week favorites, 2019

I had the idea this morning as I was thinking about the start of 2019 to sum up some highlights with "First-week favorites."

I've run out of time today and will not finish this tonight, which actually could become an entry on the list of favorites!

In no particular order (possibly):

Joslin and Russell announced they will be having twins in July -- adding to their family that already includes two baby-crazy boys and a girl, all 7 and younger.

God's on my side: This reading on Saturday in my "Then Sings My Soul" devotional booklet makes up for my frustration with typos and not the best choice of words. The writing that expounded on the familiar Scripture of Psalm 139:23-24 ("Search  me, God, and know my heart ....") proposed that the psalmist, David, "understands something very important about God. He knows that (God's) on David's side. ... He believes God isn't going to respond in anger, but in love." I've always been drawn to this Scripture and felt comforted by it. This helps me understand why it speaks to me of God's love.

(An interesting side note: Tonight's reading in the morning/evening devotional book is on Isaiah 25:1 -- Oh Lord, You are my God ...  You have done wonderful things ...faithful and sure." It references God's track record of faithfulness, which makes me think of another of my favorite Scriptures, Lamentations 3:23-24, which I remember as "Morning by morning new mercies I see; great is Thy faithfulness." And what that made me think of is my visit earlier today to see Mavis, a dear church friend who is now confined to a nursing home where she is confused and alone and hurting in her soul as well as her body. I prayed with her and read Christmas cards and tried to make her smile, with a degree of success. And then the song I sang a verse of was "Great Is Thy Faithfulness," and I could see her mouthing the words.

Reminders that I don't have to be perfect.

My cousin Eric's blog.

Sharing a Babylon Bee satire on Facebook.

Snow.

Focus on God. Trust God. Let go and let God. Praise God!

Yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment