Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Opportunity? Or Challenge? It's all good!

Every day, every moment, is a new opportunity to do the next right thing. That's how I wanted to approach this first day of 2019.

Why does it seem more like a challenge, or maybe even an obstacle, than an opportunity?

My awareness today was that if I were to write down my goals or resolutions for Jan. 1 (I won't even contemplate such a list for the year), many of them would seem impossible. And on my own, they are.

But I am not alone. I believe in God. I seek His guidance, to know and do His will to His glory. I believe He answers these prayers and gives me what I need to partner with Him in bringing about good through the life He has given me.

So I returned to my question: Why have I continued to struggle so much?

Today's first reading in the morning-and-evening devotional book I bought for this year began with Proverbs 16:9, using The Living Bible's wording: “We should make plans — counting on God to direct us.” The evening reading offered the Scripture from the Amplified Bible: "A man's mind plans his way [as he journeys through life]. But the Lord directs His steps and establishes them."

Yes, it's good to plan. Research has a place. God gave me a brain so I can think and learn. But that brain functions best when it is connected to a heart and soul immersed in prayer. Prayer and Bible study are essential if I truly want the Lord to direct my steps and establish them. When I communicate with God through prayer and His Word -- the Bible -- my knowledge of His desires for me grows, as does my faith that I can trust in His love and goodness.

And then I must take the action. God will direct my steps, but I'm the one who has to put one foot in front of the other, to follow His directions.  That requires faith that He is God and His plans are good. 

The devotional booklet, "Then Sings My Soul," ended the Jan. 1 reading by asking what step I can take to move from "default" (living as if I'm calling the shots) to "design" (recognizing that God is in charge and partnering with Him)? 

I looked ahead and saw the book has a question for each day. So I created a Word document where I can write down my answers.

This was what I wrote for today:
 One next step or decision that would move me from “default” to “design” is to start with prayer, then the Scripture and devotional included here in the morning, followed by moments of meditation. I’m attempting to start this online journal for answers to questions with this book and possibly also the questions of First 15 or any other Bible studies that I take on. I’m attempting to set it up and save it on OneDrive so that I can journal from my phone or the laptop computer. I’ll see how that goes. I don’t have to be perfect. It is a plan. I believe it is a good plan. Proverbs 16:9 clarifies that there are only two ways to live by default or by design. … Amazingly, these two options are only one decision away from one another — to believe we call the shots or recognize God does. I desire to shift to truly living as if I believe God calls the shots and that He is trustworthy in doing so, because His plans for me and all of creation are good.
I have to admit that today was mostly spent reading, praying and contemplating, seeking to discern where God wants to lead.

I've tried so many times to make a fresh start on a spiritual path that works for me. And as has always been the case, I won't know whether this time is different until I look back and see what happens.

Is that an opportunity or a challenge? Does it even matter? With God, all things are possible and can work for good.

I pray to be willing to experience the good things God has in store. All He asks is that I let Him lead and trust Him with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment