Sunday, April 21, 2019

Hallelujah! It’s time for me to RISE

In recent years, a highlight of my Easter has been singing the Hallelujah Chorus with my church's choir at the end of the worship service. The words, the harmonies and the accompaniment lift my heart and spirit toward heaven.

I knew we would not be singing it this year, and I felt sad and disappointed.  It didn't help that the song we were singing instead ("I Will Rise") has a rhythm that is difficult for me. I found myself focusing so much on the rhythm and my disappointment that I couldn't even contemplate the words.

After choir practice Wednesday, I realized part of my problem was that I was letting my disappointment keep me from moving forward. In many areas of my life, I've seen how when I trust God with changes -- and when I trust God with my disappointments -- I can move forward and usually learn lessons and receive blessings. So that's what I prayed for willingness to do. Accept that this is what we would be singing and do my best to learn it.

As I began to practice by listening to and singing along with a recording of the anthem, I focused on the words and could see how God might use them to move me from basking in the Scriptural truths proclaimed in Hallelujah! (The kingdom of our Lord has begun and He shall reign forever) to responding! "Jesus has overcome, and the grave is overwhelmed ... I will rise, when He calls my name. No more sorrow, no more shame."

I will rise!

Because of Jesus' life on earth followed by His death and resurrection, I can rise above whatever is holding me back.

Not only do I have the promise of life after death, I can rise when He calls my name and be part of heaven on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment