Sunday, December 20, 2009

Joyous and blessed

I thought I had to write something, then I sat down to do it, and the words just .... jumbled? Scrambled? Froze? This still happens to me often. I am so overwhelemed with feelings and thoughts that I want to express, and I just cannot find the words.

The inspiration for this latest ... what is the word I'm looking for? ... sense of blessings overflowing is two services of worship with my church family. The fairly few faithful of the early morning service, with the heartfelt singing of the Singing Seniors and our beloved Ben, and then the later service overflowing with people there for the children's program. We are blessed to have spirited singers of all ages, whose souls shine through the words and melodies of Christmas.

And my heart soars at the opportunity to be able to offer my little bit. The last verse of "In the Bleak Midwinter" shares my longing:
What can I give him, poor as I am
If I were a shepherd, I would give a lamb.
If I were a wise man, I would do my part.
What I can, I give him -- give my heart!


One of my Scripture readings (or, more likely, the accompanying devotional) this week reminded me that I believe God gives each of us specific gifts. And surely one of mine is singing. And the interesting thing about it is, that doesn't mean he made me the most wonderful singer in the world or even the best singer in my church or family or circle of friends. It just means that he gave me that gift, and he wants me to find ways to use it to His glory. And when I do that, I am blessed, and others are blessed.

Another interesting thing about it, though, is that if EVER I try to sing because I want some glory or attention, IT DOESN'T WORK!!!!! Others may or may not like what they hear, but it rings hollow within me.

Today, I am joyous and blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment