Saturday, April 24, 2010

Itching for answers

Ever since the reaction to my allergies/sinusitis expanded early this week to include itching in addition to coughing, sniffling, sneezing and watery eyes, the thought of "itching for answers" has been lurking in my mind. I tried to ignore it, and finally, I just have to explore it.

First, I had to confirm the phrase involved a legitimate usage of the word. Yes, according to m-w.com, "itch" can mean "to have a restless desire or hankering for something."

So, what are the questions for which I have a restless desire to find answers? Unfortunately, many are the same old questions that have plagued me for years, plus several that have emerged more recently but remain unanswered, despite what I think are my sincere efforts. I really don't want to list them again, but they include how to overcome my disorganization, what to do about the eyeglasses and how to just quit getting "stuck."

One thing I know about itching: Scratching doesn't help. But it's incredibly difficult for me to resist the urge. When I went to buy some non-Benadryl cream to relieve the itch, the store was out of it. (I was strangely satisfied to know I wasn't the only one itching.) Two days later, a stop at another store had better results. Now I have a somewhat effective alternative to scratching.

What is the parallel to scratching when it comes to itching for answers? Well, that's another question I can't think of an answer for right now. Maybe it's wondering or complaining (or blogging!) or trying to figure it out myself. Maybe I need outside help, a sort of Gold Bond cream for my confusion. Right now though, talking to others, even for guidance on finding a professional remedy, just adds to the confusion. And dare I even attempt to determine the source of the questions, the source of the itch?

Yesterday's Psalm reading was 90:1 - 91:16. Psalm 91 includes many of the passages from which the uplifting lyrics to "On Eagles' Wings" are taken. But before that was Psalm 90, "a prayer of Moses, the man of God," reminding me that I'm not the first to struggle and seek answers: "... But even the best years are filled with trouble; soon they disappear, and we fly away. ... Teach us to realize the brevity of life, so that we may grown in wisdom. ... Satisfy us each morning with Your unfailing love, so we may sing for joy to the end of our lives. ... And may the Lord our God show us His approval and make our efforts successful."

May I always remember, whether itching from allergies or to know answers, to look in the Bible for wisdom and comfort!

"This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety. He is my God, and I trust Him."
-- Psalm 91:2

No comments:

Post a Comment