Monday, February 28, 2011

Routine challenges

A busy weekend away from home provides another reminder that I'm not adjusted to my new work schedule. Two days in a row of getting up early and having full days has left me TIRED!

And now it looks like my may be changing somewhat. All I know about my schedule this week is that I go in at 2 p.m. today instead of 4 p.m. I assume that means I work until 10 instead of midnight. But I don't know. And if I work the "early" schedule instead of the late this week, I don't know how that will affect my 10-hour days (usually 2 to midnight). Will I go in at noon? Or will I work until midnight anyway?

That probably makes no sense (and may also seem like a strange way to be managed -- for workers not to know their schedule by the start of the work week), but in some ways it fits right in with my own chaotic mind today. It's bouncing around from one thought to the next, and I can't even capture one thought long enough for a coherent blog post!

There are things I don't like about working until midnight, but there are things I do like about a routine. Not knowing seems hard for me. "One day at a time" keeps coming to mind. Those are words I've been encouraged to live by, but I don't do so well. This week may test that.

Above all, I'm trying to remind myself what I know works regardless of what is going on around me or what I know or don't know about my schedule or the expectations of others: Turn to God. Praise God. Obey God. Thank God. In so doing, I will remember that I am blessed and that I will be equipped for whatever the day brings. That equipment will include a heart overflowing with love, compassion, humility, faith and gratitude, among other things.

Dear God: I am just continuing to pray to know and DO your will, one moment at a time, in all things, to YOUR glory. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment