Sunday, April 22, 2012

A necessary day -- trusting God all the way

Today was one of those necessary days. It was the 58th (or 59th) annual Davidson family reunion, which I think goes back to my Dad's grandparents. But it was the first one without Daddy and one of his cousins. Even though Daddy had been diagnosed with lung cancer in 2010 and had surgery late that year, he seemed to be doing well last  April. I don't think anyone would have guessed at that time that he would be gone by the end of the year. 

I was glad to go and had a good time visiting with people, including some relatives I see just at the reunion. I also visited with those,  including Mom and my sister and her family and cousins and an aunt, whom I see fairly often.  A neat thing is that, in addition to the older generation, younger ones continue to come, too. And there always is an overabundance of the best food. 

But now I  just feel exhausted.  I bet that shouldn't surprise me at all. 

I'm sure I am grieving my Dad's death, but it really has been nothing like I would have expected. There have been several times, including today, that it seemed like possibly sadness and tears would prevail.  Instead, there continues to be gratitude, peace and joy in the moment. But when the moments are over, there is that exhaustion. 

The day started with church with my Mom and my sister and her family, and then I even did a Relay for Life promotional song (another sister changed the words of YMCA to CURE for me) during the after-worship  fellowship time before the reunion. That's crazy, high-energy fun for me. 

After the reunion, Mom and I watched the rest of the Rangers game on TV, which we were happily surprised to see them manage to win 3-2 in 11 innings. And as I was driving back to Norman, a niece I don't hear from much but whose birthday was today called me to thank me for a card and gift I had sent. Hearing from her was an answer to prayer and warmed my heart. 

And then I got home to see my husband. We're both in the middle of a lot of stuff, between our jobs and various interests. But we now also have another little task to deal with again as my sweet sweet kitty seems to have picked a portion of our carpet for a litter box. 

Did I mention I already felt exhausted? 

This was one of those days in which I just felt so blessed by and grateful for the presence of God each step of the way. Even though I have no idea what to do about this lingering problem with my beloved kitty, who this very moment is on my lap, purring fervently, I can't help but trust that God doesn't want me to stress out about it. And he certainly doesn't want it to ruin a rich if exhausting day. So, I will continue to lift this up in prayer, trusting Him for answers, while continuing to praise Him and thank Him for His abundant mercy, love and grace. 

"You will show me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore." (Psalm  16:11 Nkjv)

"Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." (Isaiah 40:30, 31 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment