Sunday, February 1, 2015

Be bold

Be bold. I wrote those words Wednesday, at the end of a day that included layoffs at work that I was truly surprised did not include me.

It was also after attending choir practice, something I haven't been doing as much lately due to an experimental transition in my approach to worship. It was good on that particular day to know I would be able to sing with the choir the following Sunday (today) and also that my offer was accepted to sing a solo at both services at the church, the place I've been a member about 30 years but haven't attended as much lately. 

Be bold. I wrote the words before a day that would include a companywide  meeting about the layoffs -- and then a social event at a prime downtown venue I'd been wanting to visit but hated that I would have to attend without my husband. 

I think the words "be bold" came as I was trying to decide what to wear to that event. But they have also provided guidance to my dealing with work and church and life. 

I can't fathom that God wants me to be bold in the sense of standing out. 

I think He's OK with me wearing bold colors and styles, although the chances of me doing so are not great. 

I genuinely believe he wants me to be courageous. 

I've begun to explore what being bold means for me. A little less procrastion and worry. A little more trust.  Just doing it -- whatever it is.

So,  I called a friend and made arrangements to go together to some other friends' movie. I stayed to visit at a lunch after church, even though I worried I had too much that needed to be done at home. I decided to trust God for rest and strength, rather than hold back and miss the opportunities of the weekend. 

Who knows? Maybe I will wear something that stands out tomorrow. 

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea.
Psalm 46:1-2

Psalm 27: 13-14

I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord
    in the land of the living!
Wait for the Lord;
    be strong, and let your heart take courage;
    wait for the Lord!


No comments:

Post a Comment