Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Who knew?

Who knew it would be so easy? All I had to do was set a goal. 

And suddenly I had two days with a positive attitude, without complaining, whining or negativity (aside from some morning sounds that may have seemed like moans or groans as I was stretching before and as I got out of bed). 

My #Healthy65 Challenge/goal is to abstain from complaining and whining at least two days a week for 65 days.

After accomplishing that in the first two days of the first week, I realized I could break into negativity again for a while if I wanted to. But I didn’t want to. I really would like this more positive attitude to become a habit. 

What is different? Clearly, one thing is the awareness. Another is the motivation: I want to achieve my goal. A third thing likely is simply that it's new. 

Oh, and there’s this: I have a plan. Instead of whining and pointing out the negative when things go wrong, my plan is to say something positive or say nothing at all. On Monday and Tuesday, when typically I would have whined or complained, I was able to remain silent, praying as needed, until I could think of something neutral or positive to say about the situation. And there were plenty of times that pause was needed – at home, at work and along the way.

I am amazed. This feels much more peaceful and satisfying. I hope I can keep it up. 

So, here's the continued approach: 

-- Try not to say anything until I work through to the gratitude or at least can be neutral. 

-- Instead of complain, I will strive to say (or at least think): What can I do?  How can I help? What can I be grateful for here?

-- Pray. Be still and listen for God. Trust and obey. 

The Healthy 65 Challenge is a life-improvement initiative launched by co-worker Juliana Keeping last year to cover 65 days from about Thanksgiving to after the first of the year. This year, we started Monday and will end Feb. 2. It’s an informal challenge, but I found last year that it helped me have a healthier mindset that went  beyond  the stated goal of significantly reducing my exorbitant chewing of gum.  I exceeded that goal and continue to follow the plan that helped me there.

That gives me hope that this year’s challenge also might bring about lasting change. These first few days notwithstanding, I don't think it will be easy. It will take some one-day/moment-at-time trust in God that I've never been able to sustain. I'm just glad that, for today, it seems possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment