Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Could this be it?

Last week, I wrote about feeling directionless and lacking purpose.

I always try to come up with a positive spin for whatever I write, but I'm pretty sure I was acting as if, and that my hopeful tone last Wednesday night was wishful thinking.

But guess what? Pursuing that positive spin may have paid off again.

By Saturday afternoon, I had written down a goal that still excites me four days later. I've even considered some of the steps and discipline it will take to achieve the goal. I will need some new skills and to refresh and refine some old ones.

Can this old cat learn new tricks? I don't know. I won't find out until I begin the process.

Today, I started seeing how working toward that goal will not only give me a sense of purpose, but achieving the goal could yield some results that none of my previous best efforts could produce.

I have to live my life one day at a time. So, even though I wrote my goal down as something I hope to achieve for an event next March, I cannot take much time thinking about the results. I'll be busy enough planning what I need to do and then doing it.

Something I read last Friday (before the goal came to me on Saturday) is instructive here. Even as I plan and even if and when I take action, I cannot control the results.

What I read Friday helped me identify control (more precisely, the desire to be in control of my life) as a prized possession! I tend to think of myself as a people-pleaser, which at least at first glance seems the opposite of controlling, but when I saw this in "Jesus Calling," I was convicted: "THIS IS A TIME in your life when you must learn to let go: of loved ones, of possessions, of control. In order to let go of something that is precious to you, you need to rest in My Presence, where you are complete. ... As you relax more and more, your grasping hand gradually opens up, releasing your prized possession into My care."

Writing and posting this is an important step of letting go and trusting God.

No comments:

Post a Comment