Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Letting go of perfectionism

As often happens and, in fact, I predicted, this year's experience of Lent seems to be taking its own shape.

It seems like the start of Lent is no different than the start of a new year or other such beginning when it comes to my tendency to set a standard to which I hope to adhere perfectly.

But before Ash Wednesday was over, I had failed my loftiest goals. And by the end of the second day, I had failed to achieve what seemed like a very doable daily goal.

So, I realized again the value of "progress not perfection."

I still have hopes of filling at least 40 bags of things to let go of (including trash) during Lent.

But following the letter of my law isn't the most important thing.

A big part of how I experience humility is through having to let go of perfectionism. The process continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment