Saturday, August 31, 2019

Passing the hat

I got the Texas Rangers-branded river hat. It did not happen as planned.

There were plenty of lessons along the way, as usual.

I truly only made the effort to go to the Texas Rangers baseball game on Aug. 31 because I wanted the hat. Gene and I had just gotten back from an 18-day road trip to upstate New York, and it was hectic for me to get from Norman to Arlington. Plus, I know that when I go with my sister, we sometimes have trouble getting to games on time. 
 
And despite our best efforts, we were late again.
 
When I entered the ballpark, the hats had all been given away. I didn't get one. 
 
Instead, I got an important lesson in more important things, including humility, faith, trusting in God, expressing joy and gratitude.

And how to not express anything negative to Bobby. God, I don’t know how. Grace will come solely from you. 
 
A fair measure of grace came. I couldn't completely mask my disappointment but did better than usual.
 
That didn't stop me from taking the opportunity to notice that Bobby's father didn't seem too excited about getting one of the hats. So I asked if I could have his. And he said yes.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment