Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Surrounded by talent

Friday, I had the wonderful dilemma of deciding which talented friend to support.

I love going to the opening reception at Contemporary Art Gallery in Oklahoma City whenever my friend Renee Lawrence is the featured artist for the month. The opening is during the First Friday festivities at the city's Paseo Arts District, where the gallery is located. Renee's exhibit this month features her fabulous photographs.

But alas, I did not attend.

That's because some other talented friends were having the opening for a dramatic musical that was also the launch of their new Oklahoma Ensemble Theatre. I realized this might be my only chance to see OET founders and newlyweds Colin and Lia Ryan perform "The Last Five Years." I had no idea what to expect, but I knew I wanted to be at The Depot in Norman to find out. I'm grateful I did not miss it.

Afterward, I encouraged my friends to not miss it the next night (when I would be out of town and unable to attend). I posted on Facebook:

Go see this show! “The Last Five Years” is intense and beautiful and funny and heart-breaking and so real. The two performers are breathtaking in their power, musical skill, expressiveness — and endurance! Colin Ryan and Lia Ryan, thank you for sharing your dream and your amazing talent. Jim and Sylvia, thank you for supporting them so fully. What an investment of time and talent! I cried as it ended, partly because I was so caught up in the story but also because I was so proud of the work produced by this creative family, including Jim and Sylvia Watkins Ryan, who, respectively, directed and played every note of that wide-ranging piano accompaniment. There is one more show, 8 pm Saturday at The Depot in Norman. Go. See. It.

I don't know that anyone  followed through. If not, it was their loss.

I am grateful for my talented friends. And I'm grateful to be at a point in my life when, rather than feel jealous or less-than as I once did,  I can be enriched and inspired and blessed by their talent and creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment