Friday, July 31, 2020

A few of my favorite things

As best I recall, my favorite moments of July included:

-- helping with Aunt Amy's Basketball Camp for children of our nieces and nephews. If I had had a teacher like Amy, I might have played basketball beyond my freshman year of high school. I had the realization that basketball was one of many experiences growing up where I either never was really taught or just could not understand the teaching at the time. Now that I'm 61, some of what Amy taught the kids made shooting and dribbling make a lot more sense. It was fun. I bought a basketball for camp and have continued to dribble some and even went to the basketball goal in the neighborhood park one day to shoot some hoops. Now if I just had someone to join me!

-- singing, whether it be practicing songs or providing music for a celebration of life.

-- twirling a baton.

-- fishing.

-- playing with a kitty.

I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting some good moments that involved other people.


And the truth is, some of my best moments weren't those fun kinds of things. They were times when I knew I was being helpful to someone. Such as when I mowed the grass twice while my husband was traveling; watering sod twice a day; helping edit a newsletter; taking the lead in a major revision of a job description for a committee; visiting and picking up donations from an isolated friend ...

Bible reading and study.

Zoom Sunday school classes and 12-step meetings.

Worship in person and online.

Walking with my husband.

Expressing gratitude.



No comments:

Post a Comment