Saturday, November 7, 2009

... of Aggieland!

There's a spirit can ne'er be told.
It's the Spirit of Aggieland.


All I can add right now is: Is it any wonder I went to Texas A&M?

(OK, now I'm adding more .... sigh) So, the Fightin' Texas Aggie football team was outscored by 1 point at Colorado today. If message boards are an indication (and I hope they are not), even Aggie fans can't just enjoy the game anymore. "If you can't win, why play the game?" seems to be the attitude.

Yes, winning is great fun. Winning is much more fun than not winning. But what I hate most about not winning is how fans turn against teams and coaches.

(UPDATE: After I first posted this, I thought more about how fans are now. It's not just because there's more media and more forums for people to comment, I don't think. I think it's also because some teams are so good, there's more jealously. A&M wants to be Texas or OU (you mean even those teams can have off years?)-- seemingly competing for Big 12 and national championships every year. Maybe there was a time when fans knew their team would win some and lose some, and they'd wait to see how it turns out at the end. But now, some teams are so dominant, that many fans seem to think their team is no good or not worth watching unless they win every game.)


Let this be a reminder to me not to do that .... and to find a ticket for next week's game against OU! I mustn't let the possibility of a gridiron beatdown and a chilly night keep me from showing up to support the team that supposedly represents a school that embraces and promotes loyalty, character, intergrity and all those good things that resonate with me. After all, they're coming to MY TOWN. Whoop!

Gig'em Aggies. (That's the Spirit!)

No comments:

Post a Comment