Saturday, September 1, 2012

September's song endures

As I turn the page to September
I'm grateful to take time to remember
Rich blessings of friendship, family and spirit.
Sweet music of life: To hear it! To share it!

I am feeling nostalgic. Gene and I, God willing, will celebrate our 30 anniversary on Tuesday. But for the first time in 59 years, Mom and Dad won't celebrate their anniversary this month. That hit me when I was reading the anniversary list in the September newsletter for their church. I felt the same sadness when Daddy's name wasn't on the March birthday list. It's part of that transition in the first year after a loved one's death.

As for me and Gene, I feel humbled and blessed that we've come this far. As delightful as some people make love and marriage look, statistics bear out that it isn't easy, and relationships don't always last. We've had our share of struggles, but before push comes to shove, we somehow manage to kiss and make up. The good far outweighs the bad, and the future remains as bright as we will let it be. I thank God and Gene and also give our families a lot of credit for that!

(For some of my past reflections on the sweet music of life's Septembers, click on the link to my 2010 post http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=4915198689835516482#editor/target=post;postID=5331822284127896412. The song endures.)

No comments:

Post a Comment