Sunday, April 27, 2014

No Letdown

It's the Sunday after Easter. It's been a good week -- and today was a good day. 

Even though I knew I wanted to make the two-hour drive to Gainesville for a family reunion, I also wanted to go to church. So I went to the early service, and the first Sunday after Easter had a good message for me. The sermon included reminders of the doubts of the disciple Thomas -- and how maybe doubting disciples are part of God's plan. 

"It is in the struggle that we gain clarity," pastor Jim Shepherd said. 

I believe that. And I also know that sometimes clarity comes very slowly. And Jim offered counsel on that: When you see someone struggling with their faith in a situation, encourage them to keep working through it and help them see that God is with them and working with them through it. That's helpful to me, because my tendency is to feel ashamed that I am struggling, whether it be with my faith or with some particular or general area of life. 

So, once more, my list of things I want to write about grows longer and longer, but I'm out of time again. 

The songs of Easter, sung at worship today, are still with me. 

"He lives! He lives! Christ Jesus lives today. He walks with me and talks with me along life's narrow way.  He lives -- salvation to impart. You ask me how I know He lives? He lives within my heart!"

And: "Because He lives, I can face tomorrow. Because He lives, all fear is gone. Because I know He holds the future, life is worth living."

May I live to His glory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment