Thursday, December 18, 2014

Better Days (act as if ... )

I went from this on Wednesday night: 

This is at least the third time I've encountered this Scripture today. I really need it. Struggling with various aspects  of depression, tiredness, sadness, disappointment, frustration  -- and guilt and shame for feeling and then insisting on sharing those things. I know it will pass. But when? Soon, I hope. I want to feel the joy and peace I know God has for me.
(The scripture was Romans 15:13 -- 
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.)

To this on Wednesday morning:

The sun comes up
It's a new day dawning
It's time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass
And whatever lies before me
Let me be singing
When the evening comes

Bless the Lord oh my soul
Oh my soul
Worship His Holy name
Sing like never before
Oh my soul
I'll worship Your Holy name
-- "10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord)" by Matt Redman. 

With some Psalm 23 and Page 353 (Dec.18 reading) in the OA Voices of Recovery in between: 

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want ... He restores my soul ... Guarding, guiding all the way ... With blessings overflowing, His goodness and unfailing kindness shall be with me all of my life ... And I will live with Him forever. 
-- The New 23rd lyrics, modified 

There are those gray, bleak days when I don't feel like doing what I need to do to ... I'm tired of the effort. I want to give up. But I stop and reflect. If I quit making the effort, I'll slide backward. And backwards, for me, means ... mental, physical and spiritual anguish. ...
So I pray for the willingness to do whatever my Higher Power nudges me to do. Then I get my body in motion and do it! ... And then once again, I experience the healing and recovery. 
-- Voices of Recovery

The slogan "when all else fails, act as if" also came to mind today and probably helped. 

But, above all, faith and gratitude. 

Hope springs eternal. Morning by morning, new mercies I see. Great is God's faithfulness. 
-- Lamentations 3:22-23, paraphrased

No comments:

Post a Comment