Wednesday, December 31, 2014

In the moment: New Year's Eve

I am so tempted to end the year by looking back at what I wrote a year ago on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day (if anything). I am trying to resist that urge. 

My goal is to stay in the moment. I can look back tomorrow. Or some other day. Or never. 

For the first time I can remember as an adult, I have no inclination to stay up to greet the new year. Maybe it's because I'm battling a cold. Or maybe because I'm tired
(exacerbated by the cold). Or maybe it comes with being 55. 
(It's most likely the cold; I certainly hope my future includes some fun New Years Eves!)

I feel amazingly peaceful this moment. Some habits of the past year are likely key. 

I continued daily reading from the Jesus Calling devotional by Sarah Young. She has written at least two other devotional books, but for me it seems best to keep it simple by reading the same one again and again -- at least until I feel led to try something new. That's how my mind works. The message I get from her writing and the Scriptures she includes is to trust God, to feel His love, peace and presence, and to thank Him. She reminds me of my great need: the peace of Christ's presence. 

I added daily use of the First 15 guide by Craig Denison. The goal is to spend the first 15 minutes of each day in focused prayer, worship, praise and meditation. I didn't always get it done first thing, and sometimes it ended up being pretty unfocused. The guide has been good for me because it repeats Scriptures for reinforcement. 

And there's that crazy recent addition of the #healthy65 Holiday Challenge, which for me meant reducing my gum consumption by half at least two days a week. I quickly committed to do it every day, and that discipline has influenced other positive decisions through this 51st of 65 days. 

This year has given new meaning to a slogan that has been part of my life for close to 30 years: one day at a time. I think I had viewed it as a negative (is that the best I can do?), but tonight I see it more positively, an opportunity to look for and be grateful for the blessings of each day. 

I'm sure I've quoted this before in a year-end blog, from My Urmost for His Highest, by Oswald Chambers: "Our yesterdays hold broken and irreversible things for us. It is true that we have lost opportunities that will never return, but God can transform this destructive anxiety into a constructive thoughtfulness for the future. ... Leave the irreparable past in His hands, and step out into the irresistible future with Him."

I pray to build upon this foundation, to God's glory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment