Monday, February 29, 2016

Leap Day, I hardly even noticed you!

It's after 10 p.m. Monday. I was catching up on some newspaper reading, and for some reason, now is when it hit me that I sure did nothing special on this leap day. 

Yes, it's Feb. 29, 2016. The article I was reading was looking at how people through the years have used their "extra" day. And my immediate response was shame or guilt, because I had this extra day and didn't even acknowledge it. And I can't say I wasn't aware of it before I read the paper. Reminders were all over Facebook and elsewhere, including my daily devotionals, but I ignored them.

Thinking back through the years, I don't think leap day has ever been a big deal for me. It's just another day. And I'll be best off if that's how I view today. 

Interestingly, at about noon, I could have imagined that when the day wound down, I would count it as good. It seemed some difficult areas had taken positive turns, and I felt grateful and optimistic. Had things kept going that way, I can see how I might have been reflecting on the coolness and perfect timing of this bonus day. 

But by 4:30, that happy bubble had burst and I faced new physical and emotional messes to deal with. They are not major things, but I was so hoping the positive changes were a foundation for more steps forward. Instead, I feel as if I've taken several steps backward, even though my husband and others assure me that is not the case. 

And now that I think about it, maybe it's good that the little setbacks happened on the extra day at the end of the month rather than at the start of a new month. But I also know I'm best off when I take all of life on a one-day-at-a-time basis. 

So, even though I almost failed to acknowledge leap day, now I am once again grateful for another perfect present moment from God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment