Saturday, September 24, 2016

About time

I got a speeding ticket this week. Now I'm trying to slow down. One more change. How many will there be?  

A lot of times the reason I exceed the speed limit is because I'm running late. But the timing of this ticket made me think I just need to slow down anyway.  Especially with my upcoming departure from my job and no plans to get a new job immediately, I don't need the expense of speeding tickets or higher insurance rates. And with more time on my hands, certainly I should be able to manage better and not be running late. 

So, I've been trying to practice driving 40 mph on city streets and 60 on the highway. And I've realized my bigger problem: These speeds seem very slow, especially when so many vehicles are racing past. 

I'm not sure how this will play out. I will admit that I was talking to my husband on the phone when I got caught speeding, and I later told him I didn't regret speeding as much as I regretted getting caught, which I blamed on being distracted by the conversation. 

But it still seems to make more sense to just try to slow down and enjoy the ride. Obey the speed limit. Breathe in the moments and be grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment