Thursday, February 28, 2019

Finding my way forward

The United Methodist Church has completed its special General Conference that was called in an attempt to determine a "way forward" after years of debate and disagreement on matters involving homosexuals in the life of the church.

By a narrow margin, delegates from the global denomination two days ago approved a "traditionalist" plan that maintains prohibitions within the church against same-sex unions and the ordination of self-avowed, practicing homosexuals.

A "one church plan" that was proposed as a way to allow churches and clergy to agree to disagree was defeated.

Those are oversimplifications. I'll try to come back later and add more detail and clarity.

I had hoped to express my observations on this process. Once again, I'm reminded of why I am no longer a professional journalist. In fact, I find myself wondering how I ever had been! Whatever clarity I ever had in writing about such things (yes, I spent several years as a religion writer!) has vanished.

On Facebook that night, I shared a United Methodist News Service report on the decision. I included these thoughts:

I did not expect this outcome. I'm not optimistic this has settled anything. One impassioned response read: "you cannot love someone and hold them as separate. You cannot love someone and hold them as different. You CANNOT love someone and treat them as less." That weighs heavily on my heart. Jesus calls us to love. He also said go and sin no more. What is sin? I'm no judge. I try to use the Bible as a guide. Sometimes the words and meanings are unclear to me. I do know I had prayed and fervently hoped the Holy Spirit would move through this conference to find a way forward with a demonstration of love perhaps as had never seen before, something only God could do, to bring people with such divergent perspectives on Scripture into a place of holy understanding and relationship, to make disciples of Christ for the transformation of the world. I choose to believe the Holy Spirit is continuing to work. I pray for the United Methodist Church, for the church universal and for all of God's creation. And I pray to know how God would have me respond in love and humble obedience, to His glory.

I'm very aware that I want to believe what I believe and not have people think I'm hateful. The thing I struggle with is that I'm not a Bible scholar, and I don't think Scriptures are clear on these matters. Is sin the bigger deal? Or is love? Is homosexuality a sin? Is there such a thing as speaking the truth in love? Is this a cultural problem or a spiritual problem? 

I've known for a long time that I want to be a peace-maker and a people-pleaser. I want to plant seeds of harmony, not discord. I want people to get along. I want people to understand me and like me. And I want to understand people and to like them.

I also want to honor God. I think that's the most important thing.

And I cannot clearly see what actions and response are truly the ones that honor God.

So I continue to pray and study and ask and listen. I will continue to worship and love and serve. I will continue to trust God.

No comments:

Post a Comment