Thursday, April 30, 2020

So grateful to be grateful

As April 2020 comes to a close, the main thing I want to express is that I'm grateful to be grateful.

There were several moments (days? maybe a whole week or more?) this month that I could not rid myself of negativity and self-doubt, despite so much good going on around me, even during these times of social distancing amid the Covid-19 pandemic.

I may come back and add details about many of the positive things for which I failed to properly express gratitude. And perhaps I'll even offer details about how my perspective came unraveled, and what it took to start to piece my faith and hope back together.

For now, again, I just want to say, and to thank God, that I'm grateful to be grateful for every blessed opportunity to live and learn in April.





Meanwhile, I don't know whether these words Christian author Lysa Terkeurst posted on social media yesterday really fit here, but I like them and want to share them:


"Imperfect progress.... the journey doesn’t have to look exactly like we thought it would to be good. It doesn’t have to follow the plan we assumed it would to be good. And it can certainly be full of highs and lows but still be so very good.
"Imperfect is a guarantee.
Progress is what we can shoot for.
And seeing the collective good in the midst of it all, that’s a choice we can choose to make."

Ok, I'll add that key words to my attitude adjustment were from a counselor:
"Perspective can be a prison or a passport." 
She told me I can't control what other people do or even what the outcome of my actions will be. But she said I can control my perspective of these things. I think that's why Lysa's quote resonates so strongly. For today, I choose to see and be a part of the collective good.

No comments:

Post a Comment