Sunday, January 24, 2021

A singer's gotta sing! (And does it count if it's not shared?)

The past week was a bit challenging, as I've been practicing waiting. People whose counsel I value have suggested this practice. 

It's been interesting to want to express my opinion, feelings or thoughts and decide instead to keep it to myself. 

 I experienced some positive results. I also reached a point of feeling very unsettled and somewhat disconnected. 

 I found myself not wanting to attend church, although I know it doesn't seem like worship for me if I'm not with others.

This weekend, it came up in my response to one of my daily Bible reading devotionals:

I don’t need to know what is going on at [church] in order to serve God. (But Lord! You know I don’t want to go alone. And now I must acknowledge — and do I say it to Gene? — that I wish Gene would partner with me on church things. [And God answered an unspoken prayer today, as I was freshly aware of the much-needed and patient support my husband does provide in my church service.])

Father, help me to be a light in this world of darkness, ready for each opportunity to share Your love with those whose spiritual needs are great. You (not Gene or food or family or church leaders) are my Lord and Savior. May I honor You with my love and humble, gracious, willing & cheerful service. 

“Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved.”
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭55:22‬ ‭NRSV‬‬
 
Before attending the service that doesn't include singing (which is something I miss greatly), I made the decision I would do my part to participate more fully in worship. I sang along with the hymns that are offered online 45 minutes before church. I also sang along with another online service I watched in the afternoon. And I praised God for the beautiful piano music presented at both services. 

Somewhere along the way, I also decided I would try to take advantage of being "dressed for church" as a prompt to record a worship song. I did that today. It was good for my soul. 
 
And it seemed like I also needed to share it on Facebook. So I did. I'm still trying to decide why it seems important to share it. I've been told it's a gift and that it would be selfish not to share. 

For today, it felt right. Many things felt right today. I am grateful. 



No comments:

Post a Comment