Monday, January 4, 2021

Ode to a Christmas tree

I may cry to take down my Christmas tree, and that’s ok. 

Our tree and decorations brought me joy this year. 

Things I’ve taken for granted had new meaning and beauty. 

I especially appreciated that my husband also expressed delight with it. 

It’s an old tree, although I’m not sure how many years we’ve had it.  For a time, it seemed like it stayed in the attic more years than we decorated it in our living room. 

Some years, I’ve thought it wasn’t full enough, didn’t have enough lights or the right decorations.

This year, everything was right, a good mix of old and new; spiritual and secular; cats and fishing; silly and serious. Truth is, except for a few new ornaments, the only thing that had changed was my perspective.

I was going to put the tree and trimmings away Sunday, Jan. 3, because that seemed be when I would have time to devote to the task before moving on to the next thing. The Christmas Spirit overruled that plan, so I will pack the tree and decorations away Jan. 5, the 12th day of Christmas. I’ll savor with gratitude the beauty and symbolism of the season, knowing I can carry that light and beauty in my heart throughout the year. 


No comments:

Post a Comment