Thursday, January 14, 2021

Images of a welcome transition

At 1 a.m. Jan. 6, I acknowledged my sadness that my oldest sister didn't realize how much I would treasure having a 2021 calendar that includes a reproduction of an original painting she commissioned based on a tree and porch steps at the Cooke County, Texas, farm that has been in our family for more than 100 years.

Not too long before midnight, I had realized I no longer followed on Facebook artist L.G. Lemons, who did the painting. So I had missed the information about ordering the "Texas Strong" calendar, which is produced in limited-edition, and any extras sell out quickly each year.

I've been trying to live with acceptance of the things I cannot change. But sometimes my FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) is strong, fueling resistance to acceptance.

Fortunately, as part of my transition from 2020 to 2021, I have endeavored to transition FOMO from Fear Of Missing Out to Faith Overcoming My Obsessions.

At 1 a.m. Jan. 6, I acknowledged it's hard. I asked God to help me. And I thanked Him in advance.
 
Somewhere along the way, I commented on the artist's Facebook page how sad I was that I had dropped off his "followers" list and missed out on ordering a calendar. 
 
On Friday, Jan. 8, I decided to call my sister to see if perhaps she had ordered an extra copy of the calendar since it included her commissioned artwork. When I called, she said she didn't order any extras, and she figured I would have ordered one. She said since she had the original painting, I could have her calendar after the year was over, if I just wanted it for sentimental reasons. I figured that was the best I could do.
 
Then I glanced at my computer screen and saw that the artist had sent me a message, saying he was aware that 3 calendars were available at the museum in Nocona, the Texas town where he has his studio. However, he also knew that someone was on her way to buy at least two. He gave me the phone number for the museum, which I called immediately. The person who answered the phone confirmed they had one calendar left. I quickly purchased it, along with the cost of shipping, by credit card. 
 
It's a little thing in many ways, but it sure made me smile to get what I thought I missed out on.
 
It arrived in the mail today (Jan. 14), and I'm still pleased. 

I'm also still processing why it's important to me, and how it fits in with the transition from Fear Of Missing Out to Faith Overcoming My Obsessions. 

The way it turned out seemed like a gift from God, perhaps an affirmation of  my small steps of faith.

I'm grateful and open to see what lessons and surprises God has in store next.


No comments:

Post a Comment