Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Ash Wednesday to the max!

As is often the case, I wasn't ready for Ash Wednesday.

As also is becoming routine for me, I responded by signing up for numerous Lenten Bible studies and reading plans. This year I added a photo-a-day challenge and also attended two online worship services.

Nearing a year into a global health pandemic that requires social distancing, and nearing a week of subfreezing temperatures, including a couple of days that dumped 3-7 inches of snow in central Oklahoma, why not?

I have no strong expectation of finishing everything I started. In the past week and months, I've seen many instances where God makes a straight path out of my frantic, haphazard hopes and plans.

He brought my husband safely home to Norman from Oklahoma amid the first major round of this snowstorm and flight cancellations. He set me on a path to visit church members, including one who had fallen and was in need of prayers and encouragement. He's shown me when to lift my voice in musical praise to Him and share it with others. He's gently reminded me that I am not alone -- and that He places people in my path to help me, but most of the time I need to be willing to not only ask God in prayer, but also reach out to another person.

As usual, the hardest part for me will be to get my thinking out of His way. I know God created me and gave me this amazingly active mind. I also know that sometimes when I think I'm overthinking, God later shows me the purpose in my second (and third and fourth and so on) thoughts. I just have to keep seeking Him through prayer and Bible reading/study; listening for His voice; responding with faith and action; and giving Him all the honor, glory, praise and thanksgiving.

I'm grateful that both Ash Wednesday services I participated in drew from the United Methodist Discipleship Ministries lectionary planning guide. I love that the theme -- "Rend Your Hearts: Claiming the Promise" -- combines solemn and fulfilling components. I need both at different times, and sometimes simultaneously.



 

 

This has rambled. Once again, it's bedtime and I'm not really finished. God willing, I will come back to this and other recent posts and fill in the gaps as needed during the coming 40 days (not including Sundays) that comprise Lent. 

For today, I'm grateful for this robust start to this next season of my walk with God.



No comments:

Post a Comment