Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Progress not perfection

One other thing I knew I would want to write about on this final day of 2019 was the daily devotional book I used this year, "Then Sings My Soul," which I learned on Dec. 31 of last year was not well edited. https://thats-the-spirit-patricia.blogspot.com/2018/12/wrapping-it-up.html

2019 was a year in which one of my goals was to spend more time in Bible reading, study, prayer, listening and responding to God's guidance for my life. This devotional book challenged me to adopt an attitude of grace and acceptance I likely would not have considered without the errors.

Throughout the year, I've been more aware of how harshly I can judge myself and others. By reading my devotional and letting it speak to my heart, even when I had to look past grammatical errors and dropped or misused words, I stayed aware of the need to do that as well regarding my expectations for myself and others.

An interesting thing is that, when I read the Dec. 31 passages today, I couldn't find the dropped words that I wrote about last year. Nor did I notice the mistake in the 12-step devotional when I read it this year. (I did find them when I specifically searched for them.)

It's also interesting to me that I fully intend to use this devotional book again in 2020 -- and this time to follow through with journaling answers to the daily questions.

I'm grateful I didn't let imperfections block me from strong messages. For me, that's great progress!


No comments:

Post a Comment