Monday, January 3, 2022

Brave new me (by God’s grace)

So, I just did a thing today that I normally would stop myself from doing. 

I posted a comment on a newspaper website (Oklahoman.com) regarding sports columnist Berry Tramel’s piece about OK State football coach Mike Gundy saying the Cowboys can make it to the “blue blood” level with lots more funding. 

Pat_g wrote: “Someday, someway, someone needs to buck the trend that the only way to reach the next level (in sports or anything else) is to ask for more money. There’s already too much money involved in sports. (How’s that working for the Dallas Cowboys & the Texas Aggies?) I know it takes money to support a strong program. I’m not as sure it takes as much money as some programs want to throw at it. Keep doing the right things the right way. Sure, keep communicating the need for financial support & keep showing love for the support. Just be careful not to let the financial aspect become the most dominant focus.”

I thought long & hard & said a prayer before hitting “submit.” 

This follows yesterday’s social media plea to know why I hadn’t seen any posts from my churches, encouraging us to start the year with Sunday worship despite the cold. 

Less public but also new for me, before the newspaper comment today, I responded to the daily email from the Denison Forum: 

“As I read [what was written] about naming things, this occurred to me: Is it possible we name things to establish a relationship or connection, rather than as an act of power? That makes more sense to me in some cases. It helps make sense of why we want to know our friends’s names, etc. The thought came to mind as I read the sentence about Davy Crockett’s rifle. I think I & many of my friends name our pets or cars or phones or whatever because we relate to them as companions or friends. Thank you for your fresh insights, as always. Blessings & peace. Pat Gilliland”

I think all three are responses to something I read in one of my many new reading plans, books & journals on Saturday, the first day of 2022. Something about not being afraid to use my gifts. Somehow interpreting that to mean use my voice. 

Key aspect: Don’t be afraid. 

Don’t be afraid to try.  

Don’t be afraid to explore.

Don’t be afraid to make a mistake.

Key aspect: Be willing. 

Be willing to try. 

Be willing to explore. 

Be willing to trust God. 

Be willing to learn. 

Be willing to receive grace. 

Be willing to forgive. 

Be willing to make amends. 

Be willing to trust God. 

BE WILLING TO TRUST GOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment