Saturday, December 5, 2020

More than pictures

 My Advent photo challenge continues to be much more challenging than I think it should be. I spend a lot of time thinking about it, plus praying and doing various versions of research. And still ... I feel as if I just randomly pick something. 

Today’s word was “Perceived.” A lot of my thinking was along the lines of “that moment I first perceived ...” something, such as the pandemic is for real (toilet paper; face masks); this was going to be a good day (beautiful sunrise); etc. 

My research sources included the Bible, online dictionaries and pictures submitted by others doing the challenge. The good thing about all of those is that they educated, informed and inspired me. 

Another of my research sources was the photo album on my phone. Were there any photos that spoke to this theme? 

That’s where I found the one I ended up posting. 

Sometimes I have included extra words with the photo post. Today I just put the key word “Perceived” and the photo. 

One reason I’m drafting this blog post is to help me remember the story behind the photo choice. When I see the cross and flame of the United Methodist Church, I’ve always perceived the fire of the Holy Spirit. Sadly, I now know others see racist imagery. And this clouds my perception. 

I’m surprised that’s the photo I posted. I’ll be more surprised if I offer any explanation on social media. It’s more likely I’ll talk about it at our weekly Advent discussion, although it’s just as likely I won’t!

Something else I’ve perceived once more in this photo challenge is that I tend to come up with better perspectives “after deadline.” For today, I’m still ok with that. 




No comments:

Post a Comment