Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Open to the Presence of God in Advent

My days and topics are running together. It's confusing to me that Advent started Nov. 29, and the UMC (United Methodist Church) RethinkChurch Advent photo-a-day challenge started Monday, Nov. 30. Now it's Dec. 1, which seems like it should be the start of something. Instead, it's Day 2 of the challenge. 

The challenge is to post a photo each day in response to a word prompt. I likely would not have given the challenge a second thought (after an ill-fated attempt last year) except it's what my Wednesday Bible study group decided to do for Advent. I'm still not sure how this is going to work out, but I was willing to have an open mind.

That open mind was helpful the first day, when the word was "Open." 

My photo:


Nothing in the challenge instructions says to post an explanation. But I'm more of a word person than an image person, so it's hard for me to post a photo without sharing some words as well. 

These are the words I posted yesterday:  

I’ve signed on for the Advent photo-a-day challenge at my church. Open is the theme for Day 1. I’m open to the possibilities of trying again, this year with a group. I’m grateful for the opportunity to open awaited and unexpected packages received in the mail today. #rethinkchurch #GoodrichAdvent2020 #ComfortsofChristmas2020

Today's word was "Presence." It's easy for me to think of words to describe the meaning of presence this second day of Advent. I had doubts about coming up with an image. 

It didn't help when I saw a post from the first day of last year's challenge, which I started but am pretty sure I didn't continue for long. I love the picture I posted, although I'm not sure what I was thinking for it to be a response to the word "Awake." 

Here's that picture: 

 

These are the words I put with it last year:  

Awake. #rethinkchurch #advent2019photochallenge
All I can think now is that maybe Subi had just awakened when I took that picture. ...

When I posted the picture again as it showed up in my Facebook memories, I added these words: 

Oh my! Like I said yesterday, I started the #rethinkchurch Advent photo-a-day challenge last year and don’t think I kept up with it. But what a great start it was! Subi!! Still looking for inspiration for today’s word: presence.

My sister's response:

Don't over think it. Presence has all kinds of possibilities.

I "liked" her response, but later came back to respond that my mind is blank sometimes -- including that moment. 

So, again, today's word is "Presence." And this is what I came up with:


Advent photo challenge day 2: Presence. #rethinkchurch #GoodrichAdvent2020 #umcRethinkChurch #unitedmethodistchurch #ComfortsofChristmas2020

I left it at that for about an hour before returning to post the explanation in the comments:
 
I’m writing a comment about why this photo represents presence — because otherwise I may forget.
I had decided that when I went to get the mail, I would walk around the block to get some sunshine, despite the cold (and knowing it’s going to get colder). As I walked, I contemplated the word of the day: presence. Lots of things came to mind. But images? As I walked, I felt God’s presence in the beauty of the sunshine and even with all the tree limbs still stacked curbside waiting to be picked up. But the image that came to mind was the kitty that sometimes greets me along our green belt, which wasn’t where I planned to walk but is where I headed next. I was praying to know the right image for presence today, and when I topped the footbridge over the drainage ditch and saw the backyard where my kitty friend sometimes is, the sweet guy came running! I’m still smiling to think of that simple moment of God’s presence. 
 
I have to admit that, for this moment and this second day of the Advent challenge, I'm grateful I was open to the presence of unexpected possibilities.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment