Sunday, December 20, 2020

Reasons to exult

Advent photo challenge Day 21: #Exult. 

 #rethinkchurch #GoodrichAdvent2020 #umcRethinkChurch 
#unitedmethodistchurch #ComfortsofChristmas2020

This was another hard one. I’m writing here to help me remember why I chose these photos. 

They were inspired by Zephaniah 3:17: 

17 “The Lord your God is in your midst,
    a warrior who gives victory;
he will rejoice over you with gladness,
    he will renew you[a] in his love;
he will exult over you with loud singing.”

Plus some dictionary definitions: 

ex·ult
/iɡˈzəlt/
verb
  1. — feel or show triumphant elation or jubilation.
    "exulting in her escape, Lisa closed the door behind 

    to rejoice
    Exult means "to rejoice" or "to be openly happy about." There is a sentence in the Bible which, in one translation, uses both words. Example: And Mary said, "My soul exalts the Lord, and my spirit has exulted in God my Savior." --Luke 1:46,47.

    exultation is the act of exulting; lively joy at success or victory, or at any advantage gained; rapturous delight; triumph while exaltation is the act of exalting or raising high; also, the state of being exalted; elevation.
    I wanted an image or images that made me think of God singing over us. And being victorious. Today, sitting on this row at the church I grew up at and where much of my family still are members, sitting with these sweet, smiling children, made my heart sing. It felt like a victory over doubt and confusion.

    And the image from The Sound of Music represents the victory of taking time to enjoy this tradition, and also the particular image exults in the power and victory of family love.
    Now I think I also need to add pictures of my husband and my mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment